PARENTS WHO LOVE THEIR CHILDREN’S TEACHERS,
ANYONE WHO EVER HAD A FAVORITE TEACHER,
Our public schools NEED YOU!
Remember those times the teacher or administrator went the extra mile for you or your child? Well, we now need YOUR HELP. PLEASE.
Our public schools need you to understand the implications for OUR STUDENTS if Governor Cuomo’s proposals are passed and enacted as law. What it boils down to is that there will indeed be a revolving door of teachers in your children’s classrooms.
Imagine if your medical specialist who performed a particular surgery for you only was able to evaluate your progress 15% of the time. The rest of the time less experienced specialists — without mentors — were brought in to follow your health and healing.
This will be detrimental to our students and our civil right to a free and equitable, public education.
Even if you are right now hearing that your public school is a failing school, please consider the perspective of this judgement. Does this label originate from test scores? What about the perspective of a nurturing environment? What about the perspective of growth but dependent upon the unique individual instead of modules?
For so many of us, the public school is the beacon of hope in our neighborhoods.
WHAT CAN WE DO TOGETHER?
1. Educate ourselves and each other; read several sources.
2. Share. Pass it on. Talk to other teachers, administrators, and parents.
3. Please set aside a few moments and sign petitions AND write you own
letter to your local legislators.
4. Keep the message positive. Share the positive reality of your public
5. Watch for publicized gatherings. Get involved.
6. Learn about the Opt-Out option for your children regarding the grades
3-8 State Assessments.
WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?
Do you remember your history teachers discussing the tutors for the elite and the lack of education for the less fortunate — the days before a free and public education?